The Little Fir Tree Nursery opened in September 2005 alongside the Children’s Centre on the River Mead School Site in Melksham. In January 2008, YMCA Bath Group took on the management of the nursery in an agreement between the YMCA, the school and Wiltshire Council.
It is a modern nursery with exceptional facilities both inside and in the two large garden areas. It is conveniently located with easy access and parking for parents / carers dropping off & collecting their children. The low wooden design was purpose built and ensures that all areas are easily accessed by the children and there is plenty of natural light. It is a spacious nursery where children have plenty of room to make their own play.
Our aim is to provide high quality childcare in an environment that recognises every child is unique and to cater for their individual needs. Our experienced and qualified staff are central to the success of our nursery. All babies and children have a key person allocated to them and the key person is responsible for the primary care of your child and the first access point for the parent. Information shared about your child will be held in absolute confidence.
Within the nursery we help all children to experience and learn a variety of skills appropriate to their stage of development. Activities are designed to be play centred and take place in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. We want the nursery to be a home from home environment where your child will feel at ease and among friends and people who care about them. This helps promote self confidence, independence and a positive outlook which are important qualities for going on into school and later life.
Little Fir Trees offers full time, part-time and sessional care for children from 3 months to 4 years.
Play Based Learning
Our daily activities and routines are based on the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum and we have a highly motivated staff team. We use our equipment and resources in innovative ways and the outdoor area is well designed for the children.
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured;
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships;
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers; and
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities.
The seven areas of learning and development that shape all our educational programmes are:
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Literacy – understanding and development
- Mathematics – understanding and development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
We incorporate all of the above strategies in delivering our activities that help develop children’s confidence, self-esteem and inter-personal skills.
There are three distinct areas within the nursery each offering care for different age groups; all bright and airy and well lit. The rooms are divided into:
- Stars – 3 months to 2 years – the baby room is a homely environment specifically designed to meet the needs of this age group. The babies have a separate sleeping room with soft dimmed lighting and in the main room there are plenty of activities designed specifically for this age group. The staff / child ratio for this age is 1:3 and the unit can accommodate 12 babies.
- Sunshines – 2 years to 3 years – the toddler room is a large, bright area which provides space for exploration and active play. Trained staff meet the needs of this age group by planning stimulating experiences for the children both indoors and outdoors. The staff/child ratio is 1:4 and the room can accommodate 20 children.
- Rainbows – 3 years to 4 years – At this age the children continue to learn through play and practical experiences. We place an emphasis on social skills and independence. The staff / child ration is 1:8 and the whole area can accommodate up to 24 children.
We are fortunate to benefit from excellent outdoor space at this nursery. There is a rich mixture of play equipment and resources including a small orchard with a huge bug hotel. We make full use of outdoors whatever the weather.
Waterproofs and wellie boots are on standby should they be needed. The children enjoy gardening activities and growing their own fruit and vegetables.
All our nutritious meals are cooked on site and we provide: breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and a light tea.Our cook provides recipes for parents and children to try at home and is fully involved with the curriculum at the nursery.
Session Times and Prices (from 1 April 2017)
The nursery is registered for 56 children and offers full day care, half days and sessional care.
Opening times are Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm, 51 weeks of the year. The nursery is closed bank holidays and between Christmas and the New Year.
All children aged 3 and 4 are eligible to receive 15 hours free early education each week. We will be offering 30 free hours from September 2017 for working parents who are eligible for the new offer.
Eligible two year olds can access 15 hours free and parents can check whether their child is eligible by looking on the Wiltshire Council web site. WWW.Wiltshire.gov.uk
We offer the following sessions:
|Half Day Care||8.00am – 1pm||1pm – 6pm|
|Full Day Care||8am – 6pm|
|Short Day||9.00am – 3.00pm|
We offer the following rates for working parents who need a full day session from 8.00 am – 6.00 pm including meals:
|All Day||Discount for full week|
For siblings we can also offer a further 5% discount.
Baby Room – £4.50 per hour (3mths – 2yrs)
Baby Lunch £1.15
Toddler Room – £4.30 per hour (2yrs – 3 yrs)
3-4 yr rooms – £4.10 per hour
Prospective parents / carers are welcome to arrange an appointment to view the nursery. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.
Manager: Jill Baxter
The YMCA Little Fir Tree Nursery
Tel: 01225 709594