Green Shoots Day Nursery opened in April 2004 under the Neighbourhood Nursery Initiative. It is a purpose built nursery all on one level with light, spacious rooms for each age group. It is set in the grounds of Studley Green Primary School alongside the local children centre and has been managed by YMCA Bath Group since May 2010. It is registered for 55 places.
Green Shoots plays an important part in the local community. Childcare and education are of an exceptional standard and this has been evidenced by Ofsted inspections over time which have consistently recognised the quality of this setting.
There is an innovative staff team that constantly strive to introduce new play based activities and encourage as much outdoor and free flow play as possible. Manager Heather Wood recognises the importance of healthy eating, for example, she only allows chips to feature on the menu once a year at the annual fancy dress Beach Party – when children and staff eat fish and chips together and play in the many tons of sand shipped in for the event.
Green Shoots offers full time, part-time and sessional care for children from 3 months to 5 years.
Play Based Learning
Our daily activities and routines are based on the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum and we have a highly motivated staff team. We use our equipment and resources in innovative ways and the outdoor area is well designed for the children.
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured;
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships;
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers; and
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities.
The seven areas of learning and development that shape all our educational programmes are:
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Literacy – understanding and development
- Mathematics – understanding and development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
We incorporate all of the above strategies in delivering our activities that help develop children’s confidence, self-esteem and inter-personal skills.
There are three distinct areas within the nursery each offering care for different age groups; all bright and airy and well lit. The rooms are divided into:
- Buttercups – 3 months to 2 years (approx) – this is the baby unit with a homely and relaxed atmosphere. All staff in this room are trained in working with children under two and understand how difficult it is to leave your child. Your child will be allocated a key person who works closely with you to ensure we provide the care you require. The staff / child ration for this age is 1:3 and the unit can accommodate 12 babies.
- Daisies – 2 years to 3 years (approx) – as your child grows and develops he or she needs to be in a safe and secure environment where they can explore. Within Daisies, your child will be encouraged to try new activities and socialise with children their own age. The children are given opportunities planned by their key person which will stimulate them and encourage them to develop at their own pace. This room benefits from an enclosed wooden play deck which allows easy outside access and lots of fresh air. The staff / child ratio for this age is 1:4 and the unit can accommodate up to 16 children.
- Sunflowers – 3 to 5 years – as your child nears three they are ready for new challenges. Our staff plan and organise sessions that are aimed at encouraging your child to learn through play and exploration and promoting independence to prepare them for school life. Each child has a key person who will work closely with you and your child. All areas of the curriculum are covered offering every opportunity for your child to reach their full potential. The staff / child ratio for this age is 1:8
We make full use of every inch of our outdoor space at Green Shoots. In our garden we grow fruit and vegetables, have extensive play equipment, and use the grass area for different activities depending on the time of year. In the summer we build shelters that enable the children to play outside all year.
In the wetter and colder months, waterproofs and wellies are a necessity as we splash in puddles, kick leaves and enjoy the various seasons. Each month the children particularly enjoy seeing who the latest guests are in their Bug Hotel – designed and built by the children (with a little help) for the bugs!
During the nursery day we provide breakfast (8.00am – 8.45) a hot lunch ( 12 noon) and an afternoon light tea ( 4.00pm) along with snack times mid morning and mid afternoon. All meals and snack times are designed to be sociable and special dietary needs can be accommodated. All meals are produced by our own cook who carefully plans the menu, in agreement with the Nursery Manager, to promote healthy eating. Children attending for a full day have all meals and snacks provided and the costs are included in the fees. Children attending funded sessions will receive a healthy snack with milk or water to drink. Meals can be purchased additionally by notifying the staff.
Sessions Times and Prices (from 1 April 2017)
The nursery is registered for 55 children and offers full day care, half days and sessional care.
Opening times are Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm 51 weeks of the year. The nursery is closed between Christmas and New Year
Government-funded free entitlement hours
All children aged 3 and 4 are eligible to receive 15 hours free early education each week and this offer has been extended to 30 free hours for working parents who are eligible for the new offer. To check for eligibility and see how you can get government funding towards childcare fees please visit: www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
Eligible two year olds can also access 15 hours free and parents can check whether their child is eligible by looking on the Wiltshire Council web site. www.wiltshire.gov.uk
|Children aged 3 months – 2 years||£23.50||£47.00|
|Children aged 2 years -3 years||£22.50||£45.00|
|Children aged 3 years -4 years||£21.50||£43.00|
|Holiday Club for 3-5 year olds outside school terms.
9am-12 noon and 1pm-4pm sessions
|£10.00 (3 hours)|
|3 mths-2 years||2-3 yrs||3-4 years|
Prospective parents / carers are welcome to view the nursery at any time as we have a open door policy and appointments are not neccessary to look around. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.
Manager : Heather Wood
Green Shoots Day Nursery
Tel: 01225 751744
Email : GreenShoots@ymcabathgroup.org.uk